Monday 15 August 2022

A Rumble

Today the rain came...not all day but it was a start. It was trying to rain when I left home at 6:30 this morning, but soon stopped. At work the thunder began just before 1pm...shortly followed by heavy rain. I had to dash in and out in it and became rather damp. Not complaining but it running down my face wasn't pretty! Driving home at around the halfway point I suddenly realised the road was no longer wet. At home we had full on sunshine and blistering heat. In the time it took me to drink a much needed cup of tea the rumbles began. The sky darkened. I was feeling brave so went up to the garden and picked the beans and pulled some beetroot. Go me...I used to be terrified of thunder...my Grandmother had been terrified, and justifiably so...a thunderbolt had fallen down their chimney when she was younger and bye bye house was the result. See justified fear. 

Anyway having given our neighbours some of the beetroot I popped in next door to daughter as she is also terrified of thunder. She was amazingly calm (for her) but we chatted whilst the storm raged above us. By tea time the storms had abated and this evening the sun has made a bashful reappearance. Having just checked the latest forecast it appears we could be in for a night of crashes and bangs...though tucked up in bed (well sprawled on top of the duvet) hopefully it won't be too bad.

Happy bits from the last few days were attending Hartland Carnival, spending an evening in the pub garden with friends, having family over to Sunday roast last evening, listening to distant rumbles of thunder and feeling relatively safe, having cuddles with Kitty and Wilbur, and youngest grandson telling me he loved me BIG! 

So another 6 of my 55 achieved. There are probably a few that have already occurred and hopefully I shall remember in due course.

But tonight I'll call it a day.

Blessings, J. x


9 comments:

  1. We had a smattering of rain today - despite the promise of thunderstorms it was barely worth noting ☹️ and we desperately need it - here is hoping the later line of rain visits us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no...did you not do a special dance under the full moon?! It will arrive and when it does it may not know how to stop. x

      Delete
    2. No moon dancing involved (but may have to resort to it if no more arrives) and a little rain offered, but enough to make me (and the gardens I work in) grateful.

      Delete
  2. Still very dry here, 🤞🤞for rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having lots more rain today...the air is thick with moisture. x

      Delete
  3. Thunder has never bothered me as I consider it to be only storm noise, but windstorms terrify me as I survived a tornado as a child. Wind is so unpredictable - one never knows where it is going to go or how wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories are so strong. I have had a run in or two with thunder as well as my Gran. I can well understand being in the path of a tornado would be really scary. x

      Delete
  4. Those 'happy bits' more than make up for enduring the thunder storm. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those happy bits are what is keeping me going...plodding along all the mundane and hopelessly necessary tasks. x

      Delete