Friday 24 September 2021

A Return

Some days I have really doubted that I should return to writing on this space. Life seems so removed from what it once was. Chaos reigns, and if you're at all precious about your clothing our cottage really is not the place to be. We have suffered one or two setbacks during the build. Firstly as soon as they removed the roof the weather changed and we were bombarded with storms. Rain entered the house in many ways, leaving it's mark in each place. We also have had a nightmare scenario with our windows. Seven windows were installed in the two cottages...each and every one was damaged...I kid you not. But worse was to come. When the boss arrived to take a look he realised that our upstairs ones were not building regulations compliant...I had queried this with them previously and was told they couldn't see anything to worry about. Well there has been plenty to worry about since! We have silage sheet draped at each opening...the weather is getting chillier, and my mood also!

So far our ensuite toilet has been plastered along with the bathroom. I have just about finished painting said bathroom, and today have wash coated the toilet. I had been holding off hoping that this week would see our bedroom getting plastered, but no such luck.

The roof still needs some attention. There has been a delay in the arrival of the slates. Humph!

That being said, hubby and son in law have worked each evening at various tasks, electrics, plumbing, and generally taking down ceilings and drilling holes everywhere.

I'm over this though...unless it is a build that I don't have to live in we will never be repeating this experience thank you. I mean....what woman would stand for trying to cook a roast beef tea whilst her husband drilled a hole through the ceiling right above the Aga?! 

I know that one day we quite likely will look back on this time and smile...thinking how and why did we do it all. Today is not that time though! I am struggling with the darkness brought about from having the black silage sheets up where windows should be. 

I never thought it would be possible to lose track of the number of parcels we have waiting to come...really though it is rather easy to. The toilet, basin, lights, more lights, radiators, towel rail, shower tray and many others have landed here one way and another lately.

Life is far from all doom and gloom though. Young Henry turned three and has started preschool, and Oscar has enjoyed having his mummy all to himself for a while.

We have been given a few slates to finish one patch of roof tomorrow, so daughters side will be complete and hopefully ours won't be so long a wait now. Windows, well lets not even think about such luxuries shall we. The kitchen is due the second week in October. The cupboards arrive already made. The kitchen needs to be ready to receive them!

I had a really bad time at work. Getting attacked from behind, which left me really not coping well. The said resident has now left...hopefully long term and I have stopped doing late evenings I'm finding a regular bedtime routine helpful in getting a better nights sleep. I have actually mixed up what I do at work. So I go in the kitchen, do laundry, as well as caring. A change is as good as a rest and I have managed to fit in many more hours as a result. This is possibly one of the reasons I have been a very bad blog reader of late! I am slowly catching back up though. We are indeed living in very strange times. Today I have entered in my diary my covid booster and flu jab dates.

Well I must away to the top of the garden and see if I can glean some remaining runner beans. We are having fish in a parsley sauce for tea, and they will be a greatful addition to our plates I'm sure.

Blessings, J. x

 

 


6 comments:

  1. All that building sounds like a nightmare. I'm sure you will enjoy it when its finished. I got attacked by a resident at work once. He broke my rib. Its a horrible experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean. I know we will come to love it but yes, right now it is a nightmare. I'm sorry to hear you suffered an injury whilst caring for someone. It hurts in more ways than one doesn't it? x

      Delete
  2. Oh, bless you, Jackie. You are really going through it just now, and I'm very sorry to read of your disturbing experience at work. I hope you are okay.
    Keep on reminding yourself this chaotic situation is only temporary and I expect that when you finally have the beautiful home you have worked so hard for, the nightmare-ish memories of this experience will fade. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules. I am hoping to see beyond all the mess and dust. It isn't easy but even I realise it will be worth it in the long run. X

      Delete
  3. It must be very disruptive for you. I was fretting about something the other day and somebody sagely commented that at least I'm not out in Afghanistan. It gave me some instant perspective. Arilx

    ReplyDelete