Wednesday 4 September 2024

It Was The Chocolate That Did It

Several weeks ago, when the sun was shining brightly in the sky I had an idea, which in hindsight turns out maybe not to have been a very good idea, however it was an idea all the same so I’ll tell you about it. Whilst shopping for our of course exceptionally healthy trolley of food I trundled up the confectionery isle and paused…for a little too long as it transpired…indeed long enough to get stirrings of want and need for chocolate. Now we all know that bars of melted chocolate are both messy and unappealing, so lightbulb moment of put chocolate in fridge occurred…and may I tell you how delicious that cold hard chocolate was to bite into…it was scrumptious…but then…I began feeling that all was not well in the area where I have had root canal work done..not really painful but wrong, and uncomfortable to chew on that side, eventually getting a funny taste too. In my head I decided that it would settle down, but oh no, settle down it most certainly did not, and so today on my lovely day off I found myself laying beyond flat in the dentist’s chair having all the filling removed and temporarily replaced. By temporary I thought a week or two, but no, temporary in this instance is six months, then if all is well I can have a crown fitted. So guess what I’ve had for lunch…no not crackers and cheese, but pasta and sauce. Am I allowed to be feeling a mite sorry for myself? That injection he gave me was horrible, and I didn’t even squeal. I did ask to sit up to spit all the old filling out repeatedly, as for some reason it kept settling under my tongue, and then one piece landed right at the back of my tongue. Not the most pleasant sensation.

Anyway I consoled myself with a trip to the garden section of a local sell everything shop and have come away with lots of mini cyclamen and some more miniature daffodil bulbs. I’ve rather given up on the taller varieties of daffodil, as we always seem to get such ferocious winds just as they come into their own, and in my humble opinion daffodils with broken stems do nothing to improve the beauty of the garden.

Having hung out the third load of washing on returning home today I had intended taking my lunch up in the garden, so was rather disappointed when reaching the back door, laden tray in hands only to be greeted by an overcast sky and feel the wind had picked up too. Maybe good for the washing, but not I feel for me, especially me with tender mouth!

Anyway I have more to do with my afternoon than idle it away upon the swing seat, even if it was more pleasant than it is outside, the inevitable paperwork always haunts me, and I have a new baby…not of the living kind, but an electric piano..well weighted keyboard to be precise, and am working my way through an online piano course. We had an old piano when I was young, yes I really was young once, eventually said piano was relegated to the garage, however I still enjoyed tapping away in a totally untrained fashion upon it. Then eldest daughter started learning the piano around age ten and we had a keyboard, progressing to a piano. However the piano was wooden framed and eventually we could find nobody to tune it. Eventually we said goodbye to it and later on the keyboard. Having had just a few lessons myself just before the foot and mouth outbreak I had to stop when we were forced to stay at home being farming folk and basically never took it up again, until now that is. I know I’m never going to be a great pianist, but I’d like to be able to bash out a tune or two and amuse myself. Middle grandson is also interested so daughter is relearning herself to then teach him. When Grandma is at work!



Well, it’s keeping me amused anyway, and hubby has been really really busy lately, sigh, though the job he’s doing is a good one, it’s taken some sticking as he’s trying to keep his regulars happy in the evenings and at weekends, leaving not a lot of us time…so the piano is my friend indeed.

Right, despite the weather forecast promising a dry day it looks as if the heavens could open at any moment so I’m off to pick in my pegged out!

Blessings, J. X



8 comments:

  1. Oh, no! That's rubbish news about your tooth. And I bet the dentist never even gave you a sticker for being brave. I hope the bulbs suffice as consolation.
    Good for you picking up the piano again (not literally, it sounds quite heavy). I've never managed to learn an instrument, beyond being able to belt out 'Three Blimd Mice' on the recorder. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no sticker was given! My recorder days are long gone, though in my day I did play in a school folk group. I used to be able to read music with ease, but am having to learn all over again and then of course the minor inconvenience of the piano having rather more keys than I do fingers! Xx

      Delete
  2. Very exciting to learn piano good luck with it.

    Could have warned you about choc in fridge - someone gave me a toblerone which had been in a warm car but after being in fridge broke my tooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying my daily practice sessions on the piano. My father once broke his top plate of teeth on a chocolate orange that had come from the fridge…oops! X x

      Delete
  3. Hope you are feeling better, good for you to learn to play, I don't have a musical note in myself. I don't keep my chocolate in the fridge, to hard to bite into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s hopefully going to settle down, and for all else there are painkillers! My that chocolate was good, just not good for my teeth! Xx

      Delete
  4. I hope that the pain has eased now. Mr GBT always puts his chocolate in the fridge prior to consumption. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need regular relief but it’s not agony. Be warned of my plight Mr. GBT! Xx

      Delete