Friday 13 May 2022

Busy as a Bee

I have a few work free days...big cheer...the dining room is priority as family are coming for our monthly games evening tomorrow and the table is covered in detritus , namely the large mirror, clock and decorative items. This time thankfully I love the colour. Hubby did remark was I keeping it the colour of calf scour, however I believe he was just trying to be funny. It looks good to me, and having had to deal with much calf scour in the past I know my stuff!

Eldest daughter is arriving after delivering her eldest to preschool to help paint. She will be using the roller, and I a brush. I have found the roller to be harder for me to use and it made my elbow and shoulder sore. I have done undercoats with my trusty brush and shall be cutting in this morning. Last evening I made a lemon drizzle cake so we can keep our energy up!

I have slipped a little and this week have been using the washing machine to do the washing from start to finish. It all started on Sunday, we had a rib of beef for lunch which was rather fatty. I used cloths to soak up the overflowing juices and rinsed them well, but Monday it was clear this hadn't been enough. Also we haven't had the woodburner lit and the Aga is only turned on when I'll need to use it. It's false economy boiling the kettle or running the water too much to get it hot when the machine will do it anyway. However I shall certainly return to the bin method later in the year when I can heat the water on the woodburner for nothing and indeed shall still do some cooler washes throughout the Summer in this way.

A major shock was waiting for me in Lidl yesterday. The cheapest butter has gone up to £1.69...so five pots of double cream went into my trolley instead. A little job for me later today will be making butter and buttermilk.

The weather turned this week and though dry this morning is still rather blustery. The garden really needed it though. Mind you the weeds also had a good drink.

I'm having real problems commenting on other blogs at the moment. It just doesn't want to happen. then on one blog I think it did. Anyway if you normally hear from me and haven't that is the reason why. Not sure why they have to keep changing things. A bit like in the supermarket. I want a quick in and out and they befuddle me by moving everything. Absolutely hate it!


Hubby was proud to bring me in these for tea last evening. One of the tubers that he planted in the greenhouse. Think they were Duke of York variety and tasted lovely. He hasn't always taken an interest in gardening so was super excited. At 55 this is lovely but rather sad he never became so enthusiastic years ago. Suppose he was too busy tilling and harvesting the fields.

Blessings, J. x

6 comments:

  1. Not sure calf scour sounds a good colour!
    Your spuds look good and early too.
    Many years ago I was explaining the difference between a farmer and a smallholder and I said a smallholder grows his own food and a farmer grows food for everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The potatoes were delicious, can't wait for the rest of the produce to start coming in soon! x

      Delete
  2. Yes, I'd noticed the sudden jump in butter price - bet it doesn't feed back to the farmer though....
    We had the family home this weekend and had to grit our teeth and bare it as as we watched the new smart metre revealing how much more power it takes to keep the brood fed and watered. We loved having them, but we will now have to live as simply as possible to counter the spiralling costs of heating etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our electric company is trying to get us to have a smart meter, however that in itself uses power!

      Delete
  3. I use butter to bake flapjack and have been shocked at how quickly the prices keep rising.
    I would still be happy to buy it, if only to use on those fresh potatoes. I imagine they were delicious. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You imagine quite correctly Jules! I am hoping for some more to meander into our kitchen sometime before our evening meal today! x

      Delete