Wednesday 13 March 2024

Choosing the Cheaper Option

Well good folks, I have recently returned from a local grocery store, now much lighter of pocket and ready to menu plan for the week ahead.

Whilst perusing the shelves and counters I spied some lovely joints of lamb, which would make us an ideal Sunday lunch, my hand even reached out to pick up one of these delights, after all Spring is in the air and so thoughts can often turn to considering lamb as an option. But I stopped myself, and pushing my trolley a little farther down the aisle happened upon some chicken, well they are calling them chicken, however I would label them plump sparrows. 

So I have duly returned to the nest with a plump sparrow, intended for Sunday lunch with all the trimmings including bread sauce. We shall need all the trimmings as there will not be a lot to go around, it's almost certain that the family next door will have their knees under  Grandmas table! I also happened upon some reduced packets of chicken wings. I shall cook some tonight and need to look up some sticky sauce recipes. 

Also jumping into the trolley were some reduced in price mushrooms...either fried or done as garlic mushrooms these will accompany the wings, along with mini corn on the cob.

I have recently been lucky in gaining some clinical work closer to home than the big hospital. It is a lot of learning at an age where my brain doesn't retain new information as readily as it used to, however the team are wonderful, and the hours allow me to have a life as well as work which is a real godsend. Long may these shifts continue!

The Spring Equinox is nearly upon us once more. I have allowed myself to order a new artificial flower garland for our main mantle beam, and a Spring-like wreath for the door. The older parts of our cottage are reasonably dark and so brightening up some of the space with pretty things really helps.




Really looking forward to this arriving!



And this has just been delivered, literally and is still in it's box!

So I shall admire the beauty whilst eating my cheaper chicken...and maybe some lamb will make it to our table for Easter. I don't mind paying for quality food, and would rather have less and it be better quality, however today I couldn't justify the price asked for just one meal of meat.

We have come once more to the time of year I find especially difficult, that being the anniversary of the passing of my Mother. It may be 21 years ago, but in some ways it gets harder not easier. So many things I want to tell her. What our children and now grandchildren are doing. After me being rather poorly in January our youngest then suffered another loss and it is taking me some time to come to terms with everything. It wasn't quite as dramatic as the last time, however I am her Mother and as such worry a lot about these things. All the if's buts and maybes, along with wondering how things will transpire in the future. I guess it's all part of life, just not my favourite part.

Blessings, J. x


10 comments:

  1. Isn't it ridiculous how much food has gone up, I seem to spend more and come out with less! I do feel for you still feeling the loss of your Mum. My Mum died in 1977 when I was only 23, so she never knew her granddaughter or great granddaughter but we talk about her and try keep her 'alive' in our minds. Lovely wreaths for your home and isn't it nice to see all the spring flowers coming up, a real pick me up. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gill...yes food prices have soared, though I know from the other side of the coin just how much it costs to produce. Maybe we have been spoiled with imported food for far too long. It cannot be right that food flown thousands of miles can be offered cheaper than our home grown surely. x

      Delete
  2. Good news about your work, closer to home must be better. And I love your spring wreath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue...yes it is lovely to have a much easier journey to and from work at the moment. x

      Delete
  3. Work AND a life! You must tell me what that's like ;)
    I'm so sorry you've been having a tough time of late. Sending lots of love. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jules, it is quite the something working 9-5!!
      The rough parts are life too, so we'll muddle through somehow, but my it's blinkin' hard sometimes. xx

      Delete
  4. Good news about the job. You have inspired me with the wreaths, our fireplace beams are crying out to have a fresher look, so thank you. So sorry to hear about the sadness and losses. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well our main fireplace is still sporting its festive finery! Just looks too bare with nothing there. Even hubby doesn't like it denuded. Enjoy choosing something pretty to adorn your home. Hopefully time will resolve everything else. x

      Delete
  5. It's good to see a fellow blogger who is not being forced down the road where you buy just because it's Easter/tradition etc., and struggles... a roast chicken is acceptable and it's what our family will have. What will really make the meal festive for you will be the effort that you put into the detail, the beautiful decorations (not least your front door) and that you are all together - you got it right - the supermarkets didn't win this time! Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your supportive words. Todays sparrow was indeed delicious and if I am very crafty hopefully there will be just enough scraps for me and the hubby for tomorrows tea!

      Delete