Friday 23 February 2024

After A Rough Night

Good afternoon dear reader, and what a day it has been. Many times I awoke in the night to hear the wind and showers beating ferociously against the cottage. I should have just given up on sleep and gone downstairs to seek solace in a cup of tea, instead I duly tossed and turned. Just when it was time to load the boys into the car in order to get them to school this morning the heavens opened and pelted me with cold stinging hailstones. The temperature has ranged from 3 - 5 degrees, with a wind chill bringing it down to around 2. 

Happily I have spent much of the day nestled close to the fire inside our home. It has made the atrocious weather almost bearable, that and making a Victoria Sandwich, which has yet to be sandwiched together with homemade jam.

Hubby came home at lunchtime for a warm up...can't say I blame him, in fact he should soon be returning for his evening meal so I suppose I should really be starting its preparation.

Glad to say that I took the opportunity earlier in the week on a dry morning to head out for a quick woodland walk. There were a few signs of spring, but it is being rather shy in these parts just yet.








Well, with food to attend to I must bid you adieu.

Blessings, J. x

8 comments:

  1. Victoria sponge! and on your last post that fabulous coffee walnut cake (my personal favourite), clearly you have the catering skills I was not blessed with - our cakes are usually shop bought :) Our woodland is so muddy I haven't been out to look for signs of Spring although I can see catkins in the distance. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I will be trying hard not to eat too much of the sponge...it will be hubby that puts it into his lunch box, though a small sliver may make it onto a china plate with a nice hot cup of tea.

      Delete
  2. Sun here yesterday - but of course then later it poured with rain again. Seems never ending.
    Glad you got out in a fine spell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had s small amount of sun this morning, with heavy rain before and after...tomorrow looks like a very cold washout.

      Delete
  3. Not so windy here, just loads of rain, I think we might get a hour of dry weather in the next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking I should be checking between my toes in case I'm getting webbed feet!

      Delete
  4. I haven't eaten Victoria Sponge in ages. I might just have to bake one this week.
    I'm really hoping the weather picks up soon. It's been so wet lately. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually rather lovely despite it's lack of buttercream. The weather...well today is definitely an indoors day with quite possibly the curtains drawn it really is bleak and wet outside. xx

      Delete