Wednesday 22 January 2020

To Laugh Or Cry


Well I did indeed venture out on my own yesterday. I parked up in a supermarket carpark and walked up to our accountants office where I reluctantly handed in our signed tax returns! All was well...I walked in the lovely sunshine back to the supermarket being careful where I stepped as there was plenty of ice to entertain onlookers should I have come a cropper on it! I chose the smallest shopping trolley I could find and proceeded around the store...my back soon tired of this activity and I could feel myself leaning on said trolley more and more. I decided I really did not need to venture down every aisle...indeed I hardly needed to look at anything...I needed stamps! It was a relief to unload into the car and head for home. A good rest and a hot water bottle would surely put me to rights...Our youngest daughter needed to come and pick up a car bulb (kindly supplied by her father!) after her workshift and she was fetching her dog so we could all go for a gentle stroll together. Happy days indeed. 
~
Some of you may recall we had trouble with our boiler a couple of months ago. The plumber we had used before either was unable or did not wish to ever answer his phone or messages and so time lapsed...the boiler cut out so intermittantly that it sort of went off our radar a little. Recently though it worsened and so I called our insurers again. They agreed we would be covered and apparently could find us a plumber qualified for the job...but then they couldn't so my search began. Last Saturday a lovely plumber came and found something wrong that had caused a knock on effect to something else in the boiler. He ordered parts and hoped they would be in on Tuesday. He would ring. Only he didn't, so just as I sat down with my lovely hot water bottle to rest he came...good...ha ha little did I know what was to occur later!
~
Unfortunately the part the plumber thought would solve our problem although obviously needed did not stop the boiler cutting out. I was in and out turning heating on and off. He was testing pressure and everything I so do not understand...daughter came and after some time we decided that we would let him get on with it and take the dogs for a short walk. And then steaming hot water started gushing through the kitchen ceiling...the ceiling immediately began dropping its skim of plaster. Smoke alarms sounded. Water poured out of the downlights and in my medication addled brain all I could think of to say was get dad! However I managed to go outside to the plumber and tell him that water was pouring through the kitchen ceiling. I couldn't think what it was...we don't have a hot water tank upstairs...nobody was running taps...I have to say he was amazing...he did not panic, but told me to fetch bowls...and saucepans...I could not bring myself to venture upstairs for fear of what I would find...actually nothing..no zilch! Hubby came home and get this...ceiling hanging down...kitchen flooded and what were his first words...'Whose been eating my Ritz crackers'!! It was daughter...and she had left the evidence on the table still! We then left the men to it in order to have the dogs out of the way. They cut away the worst part of the ceiling and found that a pipe had burst under the shower...not a joint as we first though...the plumber ordered a sensor that he thinks is the remainder of the problem with the boiler and if it comes in today will fit it. We are keeping the heating part of the system off until this part is fixed and thank goodness that it happend when someone was home, and that a plumber was conveniently on site! I can do without any more drama for the considerable future though thank you. 
~
Operation cleanup has taken it's toll on my back and last evening I relented and took Codeine which I had not had all day due to wanting to drive. This made me so sleepy, so that's just what I did, all evening and all night until around 5am when I got up for more pain relief. I hope you have all had relatively uneventful times!
~
 


Blessings, J. x









6 comments:

  1. Oh Jackie :( I would definitely have cried and then cried some more. What a mess.
    Although I did have to laugh at your hubby and his Ritz crackers. That was priceless.
    I do hope everything is back to normal as soon as it can be.
    Massive Hugs-x-x-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Sheila...this could actually become the new normal as we plan on major alterations later this year. x

      Delete
  2. Oh my! You had a far more eventful day than you planned for. Keep warm and hopefully your happy helpers will soon have everything sorted. X
    https://bemorewithless.com/the-story-of-the-mexican-fisherman/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're letting everything dry out before sealing it up...smells a little like boiled wool! Thanks...I now know all about the mexican fisherman!! x

      Delete
  3. Oh good grief - not what you needed at all. Hope you can sorted for a more restful day tomorrow

    ReplyDelete