Thursday 8 October 2020

The End of an Era

Not sure how many will have noticed my recent absence from all things blogging.

Well today I return with an explanation...

My beloved dog Heidi failed in the last few weeks and on more than one occasion I nearly made ‘the call’

Sadly on Tuesday morning I had no choice but to do so and then waited until 5:50 when the surgery would be empty to take her in.

The end was beautiful if any end can be. She looked so relaxed and peaceful.

But then I had to leave her. Well her body. I hope her spirit will some day find its way back home to us and can freely roam the lanes and woodland she loved. For Heidi there is no more pain. My heart however feels as though a massive chunk is missing. I am going to work later today and am not sure whether it will be a blessed distraction or not. I shall have to walk one of the residents dogs as I usually do. 

Do we ever really know if our decisions are too soon...we realise if they are too late, but timing such things is painfully tricky. Several nights  I lay awake with tears streaming not knowing quite what to do for the best.

I’m not sure how the gap Heidi has left will or can ever be filled. We do now have two adorable little kittens who came to live with us a week ago. I nearly cancelled them as Heidi was going downhill. However they belonged to a niece who really wanted them to stay in the family. I mustn’t push them aside in my grief for they have done nothing wrong. I’m not yet ready to introduce them to you though.  For now it’s about the memories...the happy times...

Rest in peace my beloved Heidi.

J. x

20 comments:

  1. Do not worry, because you have loved her so much, the decision was not too soon. Knowing it does not make the pain less, unfortunately. So sorry for you. She must have been a much loved dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy...Heidi was indeed a much loved dog and part of our family. x

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about Heidi it’s never easy to make that call. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it wasn't an easy call Heather...thank you for your kindness. x

      Delete
  3. Very sorry to hear about Heidi. Hope you can bring yourself to remember how good her life was. The 2 little kitties will no doubt be a welcome distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...having looked back over photos of Heidi I can see her clearly through the ages...she did have some wonderful times with us. Yes the kittens are proving to be a welcome distraction. x

      Delete
  4. Always sad to lose a much loved family member - 2 legs or 4. Hope you can remember all the lovely times.
    2 kittens will certainly keep you busy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sue...it always hurts and rightly so. The kittens have certainly developed their own personalities and are keeping us very busy indeed! x

      Delete
  5. You did the right thing for your beloved Heidi. It's the last, loving thing we can do for our furry family. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haveing seen people have less than perfect deaths I really agree...she wasn't frightened at all and just seemed to relax. x

      Delete
  6. I'm so very sorry to read this, Jackie. Heidi was so very loved by all your family and your heart must be breaking right now, but you made the kindest decision.
    Sending lots of love and hugs. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart indeed has received a good wash out Jules. Deep down I know it had to happen though and we wouldn't have wanted her to suffer. Thank you. x

      Delete
  7. Heartbreaking.
    Sending you love my friend -x-x-x-x-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila...trusting you are still on the right road in your recovery. x

      Delete
  8. I noticed your absence and I've been wondering if The Move has happened. I'm so sorry to read about Heidi, she was truly a member of your family and your love for her has always been apparent. I am glad you gave her a beautiful end, remember that, and receive my virtual hug. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly no move yet Mrs. Tiggywinkle...Heidi has certainly left one giant hole, but time as we know is a great healer...she will never be forgotten though. Thank you. x

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear thisxx Arilx

    ReplyDelete