Thursday 14 January 2021

Hubble Bubble...

Soon we are taking ownership of a lamb and beef carcass...

This has necessitated much activity to take place in the Little Winter kitchen...

Many pots and pans have been called into use...

Much boiling, putting into jars and water bath processing has taken place over the past few months...

There is still some way to go...and we have been eating through what has been done at a goodly rate...

So here is a little peak at what I have managed so far...and what I have so far held on to!


 

We have pears in syrup, stewed apple, apple sauce, unsweetend apple, apple juice...two pressings, the second with the new juicer which is much clearer than the first...apricots, runner bean chutney, harvest chutney and Christmas chutney. 

Ah for more free time in which to do these things...I have as yet to can anything which needs pressure canning, though I now own the necessary beast...

Tomorrow I am hoping to make some more chutney, and will possibly get around to juicing some blackberries. The trouble is with such activities is the time it takes, but the satisfaction of a cupboard full of ready to go foods with a long shelf life is certainly a most wonderful feeling.

The best pears are lovely with cream or ice cream, and the ones that have turned browner are amazing hidden under a crumble topping or steamed sponge...maybe with a hint of ginger.

I have taken a liking to the WECK canning jars, however yesterday discovered that I had been sent some Kilner jar lids in error as part of my last order. I had left them saftely packaged up in their fives and only realised when I couldn't attatch the clip required before water bathing.

So, if I go a little quiet for a time on here, you'll know what I am most likely up to!

Blessings, J. x



9 comments:

  1. I have larder envy....we have a shelf full of home made stuff in jars. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first got my pressure canner my sister and I canned every vegetable imaginable!! We even did corn on the cob. That was nice in the middle of winter. I got a really good deal on salmon one year and canned dozens of small jars of that. It sure frees up a lot of freezer space. Will you can any of your meat? Great for stews and casseroles etc. Your cupboard looks very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to can some stews, and curries...a little nervous to be honest, so it will all be put in the freezer first and dealt with later. x

      Delete
  3. Wow that looks amazing. I never had much luck with bottling fruit and I can still remember the smell of my Mums attempt at salted beans about 55 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear...so far it is going well...the odd jar fails to seal but we manage to eat such disasters up quickly! x

      Delete
  4. Wow! That's wonderful. We had apple trees and a pear tree in our garden when I was growing up and one year my father made cider with the apples. It was beautiful, pale and dry. Every year he used to bottle the pears in syrup. You've brought back some fond memories, thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs. Tiggywinkle...your reply is below, and I made a mistake and put it as a comment! Silly silly me. x

      Delete
  5. The pears I did fresh from our tree are wonderful...the ones I was given last year and froze turned a bit brown...they don't look as good, but taste lovely in a crumble or cake. Son in law is making cider right now...he also does beer which isn't bad even for a non beer drinker! I just love the memories that food can inspire. x

    ReplyDelete