Monday 10 January 2022

A Shocker

Sunday...

Having just read our electricity meter...last read 36 days ago I have had rather a nasty shock...we have used 1351 units...that has been a lot for us, indeed a lot for anybody. I know we use a reasonable amount as the Aga is all electric...I have been using the tumble dryer...we have an additional fridge and freezer in the kitchen now...but even so...a shock to the system for sure. And a real ouchy for the bank balance. 

This afternoon I plan to screw some hooks above the Aga to hang washing from...I guess the Aga may also be using more electricity as it is in a much larger room...and I have been neglecting to use the hotplate cover pads...I suppose every little helps.  Could I blame the outside festive lights? They were all LED so should not in theory have used too much, but every little adds up doesn't it. I was also washing a lot more than usual, as I was freshening up clothes that had gone fusty in storage. But still...ouch. Another thing that has been on the go constantly is our dust filter...maybe now that will get turned off. The new television can only be left on standby, unless you reach in behind and switch of the rather unaccessable plug. Grrr. What a lot of wasted electricity. Then there was the powertool fest as we put the house back together...drills, saws, cement mixer...battery charging of mult-tool etc. Head in hands at this point!

Having had a good think back though, I cannot remember submitting a reading at the beginning of December and wonder if the reading then was an estimate so it is throwing off my calculation if they underestimated our useage then. I can but hope! 

I should have been at work this morning, however have an unfortunate turn of events in that my eyes, nose and sinuses have been really sore. I'm presuming this has something to do with my acting on someones suggestion to use the hand gel on my glasses to prevent them steaming up whilst wearing a mask and a visor...Possibly the alcohol has dried me up good and proper. It isn't as bad as yesterday, but still feels rather uncomfortable. Tomorrow though I need to be fighting fit. Can't cry off every shift unfortunately!

Monday evening...

Well another day dawned...I got rained on and the sun has set once again...not that we saw it at all today...or yesterday for that matter...oh for some lovely frosty mornings...hopefully later in the week we shall be more fortunate. Opening a bottle of gifted to me wine seemed such a good idea...but tired and now tipsy maybe it wasn't such a wise move after all...however the fire is lit...and it is hubbys' skittles evening...tea is still cooking so wine on an emptyish stomach...well sometimes a girls just gotta do it!

Kitty and Wilbur have taken full ownership of the sofa...with it's lovely furry blanket...can't say I blame them one bit. Now the tree has gone we've reorganised the room, as the large desk has been moved upstairs into the office space...hopefully before next Winter we will have funds to purchase a two seater additional sofa for the growing extended family.

So this evening...it looks a bit like this...minus the stockings hanging by the fire...



Not sure what the dancing dots were...maybe some faeries...or not...

 

The above uninspiring mess was actually a really delicious afters for us last Friday. Having made too much batter for our fish and chips on Thursday hubby requested a repeat meal on the Friday, however there was still spare batter. I just use plain flour, a pinch of salt and lemonade. I'd literally let spoonfalls fall slowly into the hot oil then sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. All were eaten. 

So now all I really want is to go to sleep. Hubby was paranoid that the boiler kept coming on in the night, whereas it was the dishwasher making the noise. He was paranoid because he moved it to it's new spot and wanted to check it was working correctly. However getting up everytime he heard a noise to check it rather interrupted my nights sleep. As I said earlier...Grrr!

So for now, night night...

Blessings J. x


6 comments:

  1. You've just persuaded me to pour myself a glass of wine, and on a school night! :) Does it even count if it was gifted?
    Sleep well. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime...it's got to be 5 o'clock somewhere after all!! Gifted doesn't count...unless it makes you trip over your words! x

      Delete
  2. having moved to somewhere with electric everything plus oil for the boiler I feel your pain at the meter readings. Miss my woodburner although it's good not having a layer of dust over everything and miss my LPG hob although the induction is super speedy. So maybe I'm stuck with the electric!
    Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, just maybe, everything is super expensive at the moment. Dust bunnies rule here! x

      Delete
  3. We have the same problem with our TV, we use a remote control plug socket, you plug in a box and plug your TV into it, much like an adaptor, then you have a small remote control which means you can turn the box off and on, we use them for our computers as well, ours was made by Dewenwils. I can't stand leaving things on standby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we may well look into getting one of those...can't think leaving the tv on is any good if a power surge comes along though I suppose they can happen anytime. x

      Delete