Thursday 6 January 2022

Much Too Much

Monday 3rd.

Well 2022 has begun in the same elk as 2021 ended. A covid outbreak at my place of work making for a busy and stressful time...hey ho...we will conquer and come out the other side smiling...soon would be nice please.

Our festive decor is still in place...and will remain for a few more days yet...I don't really feel as if I've had a quiet afternoon to admire the twinkling lights and decorations with a nice cup of tea and something to nibble on...just enjoying the peace and tranquility of this 'quiet time of year'. I wonder if tomorrow will be my lucky day. At least I won't need to get up with the lark.

One thing I've noticed going to work early each morning has been the birds singing. Not so before Christmas...but now it's as if they have been reborn! Spring may not be just yet, but already nature is showing us the way forward.

Hubby brought me in some leeks and beetroot from the garden yesterday. The idea was that after work today I would start to prepare the leeks for freezing and boil the beetroot, however I needed to try and get some bills out to our customers and that has made my head hurt like crazy so no vegetable preperation just yet. The last week or so before Christmas was full on decorate and clean up. No time for accounting at all so now it's a game of catchup. Cancel the tranquil afternoon gazing at the twinkling lights then...I'll be head down on the laptop tap tapping away!

From my perch up to the kitchen table I can hear that hubby has lit the woodburner. It is getting colder here now after a very mild spell at New Year. 

At this time of year I like to think I can use up what we have in store and shop as little as possible. This is a real need this year as due to having several months off with Long Covid last year plus building expenses things are going to be really tight when the tax man comes a knocking at the end of January. Comfort food can be really cheap...I'm talking potatoes which we buy by the sackfull. Tonight we are having leftover beef and some home cooked chips, which are cooking as I type. Mum used to cut chips the shape I'd put in a teddy pasty and call them heel-taps. We still have them sometimes, however tonight it's bog standard chips!

So...now it's Thurdday 6th.

Where did those few days go. Thankfully I now have two blissful days off...when I will not need to set an alarm. Not that I usually need the alarm, but keep waking and checking the time not wanting to oversleep should the alarm fail to go off! 

Tonight it's homemade fish and chips for tea...and then I'm all for doing a bit of hunkering down. Think sofa...fluffy blanket...eyes possibly shut...yes I am completely spent!

 


 Comfort food...cheap...nourishing...leeks from the garden, leftover ham...lovely...



Until it wouldn't come out the basin!

Blessings, J. x


 

 

6 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better after your days off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue...it has been a steady start nto the day today! x

      Delete
  2. I noticed the birds singing too last weekend. The ones coming to the feeder are beginning to look much brighter and more colourful. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also noticed the birdsong this last week. Spring is on it's way. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will arrive Jules...however is as wet as wet can be. x

      Delete