Saturday 19 March 2022

Shutting off the Tumble

Friday PM:

Tumble dryer...you give us wonderfully fluffy towels...you make it so easy to just pop wet washing in, turn you on and forget until the buzzer sounds...however I also have a relationship with the electric meter...so I'm afraid our time together is going to have to become very limited. Today laundry is blowing in a gentle sunny breeze outside, next I shall fold and air everything on the Aga. Being an electric Aga it doesn't give off quite as much heat into the room, enough, but not as much as a solid fuel or oil one. I did purchase the airer kit that sits on top of the Aga for washing, however found it such a faff to keep lifting off each time I needed to use the hob. Also where to put the airers when not in use...anyway, many moons ago when we lived in an old farmhouse we had a monster of a ceiling airer. It was really rather brilliant. Heat rises so it may as well be used. Our ceilings in the kitchen are of a decent height so I'm thinking a ceiling airer is the way to go here. Money spent should soon be recouped in electrical savings. In time I may also put one up in the living room to make use of the woodburner heat. I'd much prefer this solution rather than a floor standing one which will block the heat of the fire to the room. Much as I'd love to have sunny dry weather every day I know that this is not possible or desirable, plus living in North Devon with it's beautiful rugged coastline we do get our fair share of Atlantic storms. 

Each day to keep me motivated I am tasking myself with a few jobs to get done at home. This morning has been to make a cake, an orange drizzle with some chocolate buttons in, a potato cake with leftover boiled spuds, delicious served warm with golden surup, and to clean the inside of the shower. Eldest daughter kindly put a hair-dye on my hair, so whilst I was waiting for the final 10 minutes I hopped into the shower with a scrubby sponge and a bottle of fairy liquid. Job done. 

 

 

Yes that was a lot of syrup...no I didn't eat it all myself...I shared!
 

Just had to have a stern word with some birdies...they have scored twice on the bedding I had laid over the patio furniture as I'd run out of space on the line. Would withholding their birdfood be a suitable punishment or should I just suck up and get on with it? Life just wouldn't be the same without birds in the garden.

Saturday AM:

Much windier here today...pegging everything securely to the line...would hate the neighbours to end up with our tatty undies draped in their bushes!

I've just really panicked myself looking for hubbys' driving licence counterpart to fill out his gun licence application only to eventually find it and realise it is from our old address and then learn that they were discontinued in 2015. Aah well...the desk has begun to be tidied at least!

Looking forward to the rugby later. Hubby and son in law are going to be at the pub for their skittle meal but luckily the landlord is showing the game. Travesty otherwise! Eldest daughter and myself are sneaking in a chinese after the little ones have gone to bed. 

Have fun in the sun everyone.

Blessings, J. x

7 comments:

  1. I have a ceiling airier I’ve had it over 10 years, it’s in my kitchen above my wood burner and it’s the best thing we ever bought. If you get one my advice would be to get the biggest slats you can. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just need to convince hubby who is taller than me. Think I've found one that doesn't hang down too far when not in use so loading it up after our evening meal and emptying it in the morning should work well. x

      Delete
    2. Mines a Sheila Maid and yo knot the rope so it hangs as high of low as you need. Heather

      Delete
  2. We pop ours on a floor airer by the dining room radiator, we have a lounge diner, so it's out of the way. Lovely weather for drying outside, have laundered everything in sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been gorgeous these past few days...I have much to turn ourt a freshen up. x

      Delete
  3. We had a wind up and down rack on a rope thing at the smallholding. It was brilliant.
    My Tumble dryer lives out in the garage so doesn't get used often plus now there is only me I can pick the best days to do the washing.

    Cake looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pulley-maid is now on order. I've chosen the Elgan style with round dowels. x

      Delete