Friday 10 March 2023

Dreary Days

Well as the weathermen predicted a ton of snow for us we actually had very little. Just a shower at around 1am Wednesday morning which by first light had been dissolved by torrential  freezing rain. Areas nearby had a few inches of wet snow which is not conducive to making snowmen, well maybe it is, but I love it when it snows then the sun comes out. We had dull, with very biting winds. Strangely yesterday it rose to 11 degrees and today it is down to 3 with a below freezing wind chill. The fire is lit and in here all is toasty and warm. 

Having dropped both boys at preschool this morning I have been rattling through my list of chores and accounting items that need doing. Just stopped for a quick cup of tea and a breather. Both cats have the fidgets, in out, in out. No cat flap so it's a constant up and down game.

Yesterday I made my first ever batch of tomato soup. It is lovely, though I didn't follow a recipe and added after advice from a colleague some sherry vinegar and sugar. Well she said balsamic but I didn't have any. I think next time I'll not bother with either as I tasted it before adding and it was rather lovely without. Hubby gladly ate a generous bowl-full. Well he who grows so many tomatoes must be prepared to eat some try outs!

Finally yesterday our extension was signed off by the council. The boiler was the last thing waiting for the plumber to come and check it over. We're done...PHEW! I have this morning sorted out the insurance which will now rise but not by too much. Better safe than sorry.

On Sunday I'm happy to report my baking mojo returned for the first time since the illness saga. Quiche, coffee and walnut cake, cinnamon and walnut (should have been pecan) buns, crusty bread, and a roast pork feast for the family. Grandma roasts have been few and far between this year, but I was glad to do one. I am anticipating a similar set up this coming weekend. It is work for me tomorrow, but not a late shift thankfully.

Actually since typing that the fire was lit it appears to be struggling somewhat. As my Mother would have said...and often did...I wish it would buck up!!


Sundays' buns...yesterday I used the other half of the dough which I stored in the fridge and made some Chelsea Buns...some of which travelled to the people next door!

Right..enough of this...back to work...

Blessings, J. x



2 comments:

  1. Those buns look delicious. I hope the weather picks up soon. We've been experiencing all the seasons here recently. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WintersEndRambler17 March 2023 at 08:22

    Some proper Spring weather would certainly be appreciated here Jules. xx

    ReplyDelete