Wednesday 1 March 2023

March

The month of March heralds the start of Spring, 

When daffodils appear in the waving grass, and the birds begin to sing.

The morning sun lifts a curtain, on Winters' icy grip.

The days begin to lengthen and our hearts begin to skip.

Our hedges and trees are changing, all bursting into leaf.

Preparing for the warmer months, when time is always brief.

And the air is fresh and new, all filled with the sweet perfume,

From the flowers that in Springtime, choose to open up and bloom.

This is the rebirth of the land, just as it always has been so.

And may nature forever continue in Spring,

To start the living things to grow.


The above is a poem that I wrote many many years ago. It was a particular favourite of my Mothers', and as she passed away in the month of March, we chose to read it at her funeral.

This month will mark twenty years since her passing. I am trying to find things to celebrate her memory rather than get maudlin. I have a book about Hannah Hauxwell and have started to re-read it. On Monday evening when he who does was out playing skittles I watched one of the television programmes about her on YouTube. I can remember being a young girl and watching it originally with my mother. I enjoyed the programme very much, and am enjoying revisiting the book, however this time of reading and watching I find myself asking questions such as how did she cook before electricity arrived at the farm. All I have seen in the programme is a coal grate and I certainly wouldn't have thought she would have cooked on one of those. She apparently had no electricity until earning funds from the first programme but I wonder if she had some form of gas. Does anybody know? Surely she must have eaten some hot meals and had some hot drinks. Low Birk Hatt Farm appeared to have two chimneys but we only really see her in the one room, which was apparently the kitchen. Answers on a postcard please!

It must be really cold outside, I have just risen  from my chair in which I am sitting encased in blankets and with a hot water bottle pressed to my back in order to re-light the woodburner. The logs seem to be burning a smouldering black and then slowly extinguishing. I have used a precious firefighter which was part of a Christmas hamper gift. I don't always resort to purchased firelighters but felt the need to just now, anyway I spied not one but two cats peering in through the kitchen window begging to be let in. Kitty is now residing on the sofa opposite me and Wilbur is making his way upstairs. He particularly likes the blanket I keep on our bed. Oh to be a cat!

Yesterday was my late shift. I never seem to recover from them now like I used to. Having said that after my early shift on Monday, I had barely made myself a cup of tea and lit the fire when I decided that it was really necessary to spend some time horizontal on the sofa...it really was...I was truly exhausted and some. Maybe it's a post Covid thing. I came downstairs at 2am this morning feeling very thirsty and hungry. Not an ideal feeling in the night, and certainly not conducive to sleep. Hence todays rather dazed demeanour. I'm working on the theory of what gets done gets done and what doesn't doesn't. No pressure. The work I do can easily see me walking 7 miles per shift. I am hoping that being on a ward at the hospital will mean not quite so many steps, though I intend to keep my regular shifts where I am and just pick up the odd one for a bit extra at the hospital. Hopefully the best of both worlds.

I treated myself to some fresh flowers a while ago and only just thought to take some pictures. The tulips are passed their best but the spray carnations are still lovely.





Until next time, blessings, J. x

6 comments:

  1. Lovely close up photos of the carnations. Hope you have a better night tonight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WintersEndRambler1 March 2023 at 16:09

      They are certainly bringing some cheer into our home. Yes I'm rather looking forward to tucking in for a good long rest tonight! x

      Delete
  2. I 'enjoyed' the delights of covid August last year, still feel tired now.
    Lovely poem xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WintersEndRambler2 March 2023 at 20:36

      Aah the gift that just keep on giving, and thank you. x

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely poem.
    I remember watching a TV programme about Hannah Hauxwell, many years ago. She was a remarkable woman. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WintersEndRambler3 March 2023 at 16:38

      Thank you Jules. Today whilst making headway with the paperwork I have had on the series when Hannah went abroad. She wasn't afraid to tell the truth! x

      Delete