Friday 25 February 2022

Trying to Settle

Just when life seems to be trundling along nicely something always seems to happen doesn't it.

Rising prices of absolutely everything. Only yesterday I received an email telling me how much our electricity price was going up to. My eyes are still watering over that one.

The world seems a very disjointed place. I suppose it always is to some extent. Has there ever been global peace? But this latest is hitting home in a big way. Too close to Europe and the news brought into our homes in great detail. Yesterday I wanted to learn what was going on, however I really didn't like what I saw and today have even turned off the radio. 

This morning has been about baking...having volunteered been press ganged into working tomorrow, when I had already volunteered to work Sunday has necessated a full on preparation day. Hubby is hoping to get the men together for a logging weekend. They get hungry!

So far there are two teddy pasties baking. More pastry in the freezer, and some leftover in the fridge so I can knock something up tomorrow afternoon with it...not sure what yet. Some crumble topping ready for Sunday lunch...well a mid afternoon meal as I will not be home until 2:30. Eldest will be cooking at ours for us that day. I've made up some rock cakes, but have used chopped up dates in them. No sultanas or anything similar left here and I didn't like the price they were the other day. The dates need using...a big bag of them...so dates it was.



These are for lunch tomorrow...it really can be a full time job feeding people can"t it!

Hoping to have a woodland walk with youngest daughter later after she has finished work and picked up her dog. So far today has been dry. Unlike yesterday when we had a mix of sleet and hail, coming at us sideways. We could use a few more logs indoors, but having had my shoulder subluxate a couple of nights ago perhaps that is something I should really leave for hubby to do. That or carry them in one at a time. It is a pain...quite literally...the joys of being hypermobile and in a physical job. Strangely it happened when I stood up from my easy chair...that was it...ouch. The kitchen is now smelling of lovely home baking but with the strange addition of Deep Heat ointment. Rather lovely I suppose.

Anyway, I hope this finds you all safe, well, and relatively at peace with yourselves.

Blessings, J. x

8 comments:

  1. Hope work goes well this weekend and you get a rest afterwards.

    Good looking pies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Came home today, had a late lunch, lit the fire and flopped out a pouffe thing in front of it and lay down for an hour with my back to the warmth! x

      Delete
  2. Those pies look amazing. I'm sure they would have been well received.
    Sympathising with the hyper-mobilty :) I hope your shoulder is feeling better now. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules...they did indeed get appreciated...for a short while anyway!! x

      Delete
  3. Hi,I can't bear to watch the awful news,it is just too heartbreaking and it plays on my mind.Love your baking yummeee.I too have a painful shoulder from doing jobs I shouldn't,but my husband is not well so I have to do it.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words just don't seem enough to express my feelings at what is going on in the world right now. Take care of your shoulder...these things are a real pain. x

      Delete
  4. I too had a long look at the news and when and why the conflict started. I wish I hadn't so I also made a batch of pies for the freezer. There's something so reassuring about baking.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking...doing something I suppose...those poor poor families. x

      Delete