Tuesday 24 January 2023

This Is It

Having had a less than satisfactory festive season due to work and illness, now I'm really focusing on what is important to us as a family. The pressure, and temptation to take on extra shifts in December was such a strong force and I'm afraid I totally got strung along in it all. That and all the extra preparations for the festivities meant that by the time it was time to have the fun I was totally burnt out and consequently became ill. I feel as though I have been cheated. I know that many many people suffered with illness this Winter, however I look back and realise that I worked through every holiday last year. The lure of a little extra money. Guilt. Whatever. Now I just feel I've been had. It appears that my place of work has changed how it works out our waiting sick days. This is a real thumbs down as I only have two shifts a week automatically on the rota, the rest I pick up. But pick up I do, regularly, so I have been less that enamoured at being told that they only go by the regular shifts we do now. As I said, having worked all through the Jubilee, Queens funeral, most of Easter, Christmas and New Years Days I'm reassessing my work life balance. I had already committed to working part of this next weekend, but next month I'm going to leave well alone and pick up absolutely nothing extra. To be honest I need the rest. This virus and its' effects on my body have really knocked me sideways. Today it's dawned on me that this is it...this is my life, and I'm letting too many things get in the way of enjoying it.

Anyway enough woe me...we have a glorious if finger numbing day to enjoy here today. I'm having a steady morning as I went back to work yesterday and will be doing a late shift this afternoon/evening. Oh but the sun. The frost. To see shadows, yes shadows made by the amazing sunshine! No I'm not going crazy and heading out for a romp as I will need all my energy later having had a really busy shift yesterday. On Sunday hubby declared we were going for a walk, I think he wanted to check my fitness level really! Anyway we wrapped up well and took hot tea and a snack each and headed to the Tarka Trail. We ventured to a place called Yarde and had an enjoyable if longer walk than I would have chosen. Hubby walks at hubby pace, so especially on the way back I kept saying slower please! Needless to say having done not an awful lot in January I keeled over on the sofa in the afternoon. It was lovely though. Many times I thought to myself I should be snapping some photos, but it was just sooo chilly I didn't want to take off my gloves.

The woodturner is lit. A stew concoction is bubbling away on top. I hope to take some for a very quick pitstop style tea. I don't officially get a break today but hope to shovel something down my neck in order to stop myself from keeling over. Tomorrow I've allocated myself the task of baking bread. See, slow and steady!

I had to return to the doctors surgery on Friday. Luckily the results of my ECG and bloods were normal, but I've been given an additional preventer inhaler. The rescue one is great, but gives me the shakes. They say it could be two weeks before the preventer one takes over from the rescue one. I'm just really grateful they exist to be honest. January certainly hasn't been my finest hour!



This photo doesn't do yesterdays sunrise justice 

Well I must away and have a quick pick up before lunch. 

Blessings, J. x


2 comments:

  1. Amazing sun rise colours.
    Looking at the forecast we are due for a grey cloudy week here - not a favourite.
    Hope you get the work you need and the rest you need too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WintersEndRambler24 January 2023 at 23:49

      Thank you Sue. Hope the day isn't too dull here tomorrow. Beautiful sunset earlier.

      Delete